It goes without saying that if you have a serious problem with candida, you should try to get a doctor to treat it. This post is meant for people with candida that want to treat it themselves, in which case it’s probably not very serious or your doctors aren’t helpful.
What Causes Candida?
Candida comes from an immune deficiency, particularly a deficiency in Th17 cells  and Th1 cells  and an increase in Th2 cells . For this reason, you’d want to focus on supplements that increase the Th1 immune response and decrease the Th2 immune response.
Triggers for Candida
Environmental triggers include refined carbs, stress, low stomach acidity (could be from antacids) and antibiotics. Anybody with brain fog after antibiotic treatment and/or a particularly stressful period should look into candida as being the cause, although it isn’t certain that candida is the cause.
Refined carbs make candida grow by feeding it directly and stomach acid suppresses candida growth. Antibiotics cause candida indirectly by killing off bacteria that suppress candida. Stress also increases candida indirectly by suppressing the immune system.
Brain Fog and Candida
People with candida or bacterial infections will often have a chronic type of brain fog. The mechanism fits in with the mechanism for almost all other types of brain fog: inflammation and oxidative stress. Candida increases TNF-alpha and IL-1  (as well as IL-6 ), which are inflammatory cytokines and this leads to OS. Watch this video demonstrating how this takes place.
Candida can infect many areas of the body and supplements that inhibit candida in one place may not inhibit candida in another location.
The Following Exhibit Activity With Candida
I’ve had clients who mentioned they had a resistant strain of candida and that’s why they didn’t want to take fluconazole. If this is the case it doesn’t mean fluconazole won’t help, it only means it won’t completely kill the infection by itself.
Candida can usually be cured through conventional and alternative means. I recommend getting a reliable test to confirm this diagnosis before going crazy with these supplements.
Eventually, when I get enough time, I will break down the mechanism’s by which each substance kills candida and formulate a protocol to encompass all of the ways to kill candida. Also, these lists aren’t comprehensive.
As always, consult with your doctor.
Most Highly Recommended for Combating Candida
- Nystatin (drug) – doesn’t cross the gut barrier
- Fluconazole (drug)
- Voriconazole (drug) 
- LLLT [5, 6, 7] – place this on your gut
- Coconut oil [8, 9] This is a super candida destroyer because it contains many types of fatty acids that inhibit candida: Capric acid , Saturated Fat , Lauric acid  and MCT oil .
- Probiotics (Swanson) and Prescript assist B longum , L Rhamnosus , L Reuteri, Acidophilus. Acidophilus converts-thiocyanate to hypothiocyanite which is more toxic 
- Saccharomyces Boulardii [13, 14]
- Undecylenic acid 
- Berberine – synergistic with AmphoB and Fluconazole [16, 17]
- Raw honey  and Propolis 
- Lactoferrin 
- Sodium Butyrate 
- Clay 
- Lectins like ConA  by consuming whole grains, legumes, nuts, seeds, tubers. N-acetyl galactosamine, mannose, and sialic acid binding lectins [24, 25]
- Elecare Jr – in conjunction with probiotics. By only consuming glucose without too much fat, no carbs will go to your small intestines
- Uva Ursi (commonly used)
- Cat‘s Claw (commonly used)
- Pau D’arco (commonly used)
- Gymnema (commonly used)
- High-dose biotin (commonly used)
- Tulsi [26, 27], – also has Eugenol 
- Reishi 
- Bacopa 
- Noni 
- Bromide  (plenty in fish)
- Potassium iodide 
- Oregano oil/Carvacrol 
- Apple Cider Vinegar  – has Acetic acid 
- Increase stomach acidity via HCL supplements  or Chewing Gum
- Ginseng 
- Garlic /Allicin – synergistic with Fluconazole [36, 37], haven’t found any garlic supplements better than raw garlic
- Onions 
- Amla 
- Grapefruit seed extract  – mainly because of anecdotal reports, but be careful with the quality of this supplement is suspect
- Peppermint 
- Cruciferous vegetables such as Cabbage . These also have I3C, which is active against candida 
- Colostrum 
- Lycopene , in tomatoes
I recommend using a lot of spices on your food such as Curry and Italian seasoning.
Turmeric/Curcumin [46, 47, 48], Cinnamon , Black Pepper, Basil, Black Cumin Seed Oil , Cumin , Cayenne , Rosemary , Anise  and Clove  have all been found to inhibit candida. Just use them on your food.
Less Highly Recommended for Combating Candida
The main reason most of these are less highly recommended is that they simultaneously decrease the Th17 immune response.
- Baicalin 
- Tea tree oil  – less recommended because I wouldn’t recommend for internal use at this stage of my knowledge.
- Pine bark 
- CLA 
- Grapeseed extract-synergistic with AmphoB 
- Thymol 
- Geraniol 
- Linalool 
- Papaya 
- Agaricus brasiliensis 
- Sesame seed 
- Honokiol – synergistic with Fluconazole 
- Baicalein – synergistic with Fluconazole [66, 67, 66]
- EGCG-synergistic with AmphoB [68, 69]
- Resveratrol 
- Echinacea 
- Olive leaf extract
- Itraconazole (less tolerated than fluconazole, voriconazole).
- Licorice by the immune system [72, 73]
- Tribulus 
- Lavender 
- Lemongrass 
- Chlorhexidine acetate 
- Sodium hypochlorite 
- Calcium hydroxide 
- Candicidin for vaginal 
- Abafungin 
- Solanum chrysotrichum 
The Following Increase Candida Activity
- Glucose 
- Corticosteroids 
- Antibiotics 
- Sugars that bind to lectins: NAG, Mannose  and maybe sialic acid .
Videos on Conventional Treatments of Candida
How The Immune System Detects and Kills Candida/Fungi
How Fluconazole and Other Azoles Kills Candida and Fungi
How Amphotericin B Kills Candida and Fungi
Amphotericin is dangerous and should be a last resort, though taking a lower dosage and combining it with other substances should be explored.
Conventional Treatment of Candidiasis
Want More Targeted Ways to Combat Inflammation?
If you’re interested in natural and more targeted ways of lowering your inflammation, we at SelfHacked recommend checking out this inflammation wellness report. It gives genetic-based diet, lifestyle and supplement tips that can help reduce inflammation levels. The recommendations are personalized based on your genes.
SelfDecode is a sister company of SelfHacked. The proceeds from your purchase of this product are reinvested into our research and development, in order to serve you better. Thank you for your support.